The Top Ten
Tomorrow is our last day here at Deer Valley and I am going to try and soak - it - up. This has been such an incredible week, but I wanted to get a few top ten things about the Ranch jotted down before I leave. It has been my actual JOY to get to instagram + blog from this place because I have truly nothing but positive things to say, but here are the top ones fresh on my mind tonight.
10. The pool. OK, honestly - I haven’t gotten in the pool yet myself, BUT - I just think having a hot springs pool in the middle of the mountains is genius. It’s not crazy warm here yet, but our kids have been so comfortable swimming any time of day.
9. The quiet. There are so many awesome activities available, but no pressure to do or not do things. Most nights Nick and I have put the kids to bed and just sat in the cabin reading books. No internet or tv to distract us, I’ve loved the quiet.
8. The culture. I loved that I can tell the staff love Jesus and there have been plenty of opportunities to talk about the Lord and sing songs about Him, but I also love that it’s a very grace-filled and open place too, where I think non-Christians would feel incredibly welcomed + relaxed.
7. The cabin. I love our cabin so much and I cannot be more sad about leaving. It has a fully functioning kitchen, three bedrooms, two really comfy couches and a front porch with the most beautiful view. The tough call will be deciding if we request this cabin or try a new one when we come again next. If you’re booking and want a suggestion for a cabin - we’ve loved Pomeroy!
6. Hiking, Hiking, Hiking. Is hiking a sport? I’m not sure. If so, it’s the only sport I like. This week I’ve done some of the guided hikes and Nick and I also did an alone hike. Of course when we hiked alone, we got lost, but it was still so much fun. I love that there is some hiking offered every day here, including some 6:30am hikes - which are seriously my jam.
5. The horseback riding. I have to say, I did not foresee us falling in love with horses as much as we did on this vacation! I haven’t ridden for 20 years or so and all of a sudden, I want to ride every day. I’ve already planned one last ride for tomorrow afternoon.
4. The food. I mean, a of all) I didn’t have to cook a single meal ALL WEEK. Is that even for real? On top of that, the amazing staff served us for each meal and cleaned up after us. Biggest blessing ever. b of all) best food in the world. My top favorites for the week: applesauce donuts, breakfast quiche, trout, mexican buffet night, salted caramel ice-cream and creamy jalepeno grits. We’re buying the cookbook tomorrow before we leave!
3. It’s all about the family. I’ve never seen a vacation place that was really so interested in the well being of the entire family. My kids have felt so loved and cared for and Nick and I have as well.
2. The staff. We’ve grown so grateful for the various staff members who have been so loving and kind. It’s been great to have them join us for meals or on horseback rides and hear their stories and get to know them better.
1. The backdrop! Now, where we come from is beautiful, there’s no doubting it, but it’s been such a sweet gift of grace to get a new backdrop for the week. I’ve never been to Colorado and I have fallen in love with this majestic place. I feel like I can’t open my eyes wide enough to take it all in.
I’ll do one last wrap up post next week, but I just have to say a massive thank you to the folks at Deer Valley! We have absolutely loved every single day and we’ll be back again very soon!